The Coming of Imaam Mahdi is one of the signs of Qiyamah as is
the belief of the Ahlus-Sunnah and he has yet to appear.
Abdullah-bin-Masood May Allah be pleased with him has reported that the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him said, “The world will not pass away before the Arabs are ruled by a man (referring to Mahdi) of my family whose name will be the same as mine.” (Abu Daud)
However, many people in the past falsely claimed to be Imaam Mahdi. One of these false claimants was Mohd-bin-Tomart, a tyrant who spread corruption and even buried some of his companions because they didn’t believe that he was the Mahdi described by the Ahadith of Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him. Some believe it was Mohd-bin-al Askari who disappeared at the age of 5 and went into hiding and has been hiding for 10 centuries. Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (The Cursed) was also one of those who claimed to be the Mahdi as well as many other people. Besides those mentioned there were many others who claimed the office of Mahdi, the most recent being somebody from Manchester who claimed the position for himself.
It should be noted that none of the above or anybody else who claimed to be the Mahdi in the past fulfilled the conditions laid down by the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him.
A list of some of the signs which will precede Imaam Mahdi and some that describe him have been gathered in this book so that we Muslims are not misled to believe in somebody claiming to be the Mahdi who in reality is a blatant liar.
Back to content
Signs That Will Precede Him
1) A General Sign
There are many signs that will precede him; a general and very important sign is that he will come at a time when there is great confusion, intense disputes and violent death. When people are afflicted by disturbances and fear. Calamities will fall upon the people, so much so that a man shall not find shelter to shelter him from oppression. There will be many battles and fitnaas before his appearance. Every time a fitnaa has come to an end, another will start, spread and intensify. The people will be troubled to such extent that they will long for death. It is then that Imaam Mahdi will be sent.
Abu Saeed al-Khudri has reported that the Messenger of Allah Peace and blessings be upon him said:
”He will be sent at a time of intense disputes and differences among people and earthquakes.” (Ahmad)
Back to content
2) Note. The Double Eclipse In Ramadan statement quoted from Darequtni is NOT verified, indeed it’s authenticity is questionable. It is NOT to be considered as authentic Hadith.
3) The Battle in Mina
Before Imaam Mahdi emerges an inter-tribal fight will take place. In the same year Haji’s will be looted and a battle will erupt in Mina in which many people will be killed.
Amr-bin-Shuaib reported from his grandfather that the Messenger of Allah Peace and blessings be upon him said, ”In Dhul-Qada (Islamic month) the tribes will fight, Hajis will be looted and there will be a battle in Mina in which many people will be slain and blood will flow until it runs over the Jamara-tul-aqba. Their companions (referring to Imaam Mahdi) will flee to a point between the Corner and the Maqaam and will be forced to accept people’s allegiance.” (Al-Fitan Nuaim-b-Hammad)
Back to content
4) The Euphrates Will Disclose Mountain of Gold
The final hour will not come until the river Euphrates (which flows through Syria and Iraq and finally opens in the Gulf) will disclose a mountain of gold over which people will fight and die. It should be noted that this is a sign, which will precede Imaam Mahdi only according to some Ulama. Abu Huraira (R.A.) reported that the Messenger of Allah Peace and blessings be upon him said, ”The hour shall not occur until the Euphrates will disclose a mountain of gold over which people will fight . Ninety- nine out of which hundred shall be killed and every one of them will say’ Perchance I shall be the one to succeed. ”(Muslim)
In another narration we have been told that whoever is present at the time when the Euphrates discloses a mountain of gold should not take the gold.
5) Emergence of the Suffyani
The Suffyani (a descendant of Abu Sufyan) will emerge before Imam Mahdi from the depths of Damascus. According to some weak narration his name will be Urwa bin Muhammed and his Kuniya ‘Abu-Utba’. The Ahadith regarding the Suffyani specify that he is a tyrant who will spread corruption and mischief on the earth before Imam Mahdi. He will be such a tyrant that he will kill the children and rip open the bellies of women. When he hears about the Mahdi, he will send an army to seize and kill him. However the Earth will swallow this army before it even reaches Imam Mahdi.
Abu Huraira (R.A.) has narrated that the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him said, ”A man will emerge from the depth of Damascus. He will be called Suffyani. Most of those who follow him will be from the tribe of Kalb. He will kill by ripping the stomachs of women and even kill the children. A man from my family will appear in Haram, the news of his advent will reach the Suffyani and he will send forth one of his armies. He (referring to Imam Mahdi) will defeat them. They will then travel with whoever remains until they come to a desert and they will be swallowed . None will be saved except the one who had informed the others about them. ” (Mustadarak)
Back to content
6) The Emergence of Haris-Al-Harrath and Mansur
Hazrat Ali reported that the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him said, ”There will be a man from Transoxania who will be called Harith-Harrath and a man called Mansur will be at his vanguard. He will give abode to the family of Mohammad (referring to Imam Mahdi) just as the Quraish gave abode to the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him (Mishkat)
7) An army will perish in Baidah
Once he has appeared an army that has come to fight him will perish in Baidah (a flat piece of land next to Madinah facing the direction of Makkah).
Umme-Salama (R.A.) reported that the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him ”There shall be differences and intense dispute at the time of the death of a Khalifh. Then a man from the inhabitants of Madinah (referring to Imam Mahdi) will come out of the flee to Makkah (so that he does not get caught in the dispute and is not made the Khalifh). Some Makkans will come to him and take him out though he will be unwilling. They will then make him accept their Bayat between the Black Stone and the place of Ibrahim Peace and blessings be upon him. An army will then be sent to fight him from Syria , however it will perish in Baidah, between Makkah and Madinah. When the people see and hear about this event ,the awliya (God fearing people) of Syria and Iraq will make Bayat with him.” (Abu Daud)
8) A star with a luminous tail will rise from the east before his emergence. (Al-Iza’ah).
9) A voice in Ramadhan will awaken sleeps and alarm those that are awake (Ibid)
10) The emergence of al-A’hraj al-Kindi, Abqa and Ashab before Imam Mahdi (Ibid)
11) The earth will swallow a village near Damascus (Ibid)
12) An army with black banners will come from the East (Ibid)
There are many other signs which will precede Imam Mahdi. For more information read the relevant Books
Back to content
The Signs of Imaam Mahdi
1) He will be from the progeny of the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him and descendent of Fatimah (R.A). Umme Salama (R.A) reported: I heard the Prophet of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him) saying, “The Mahdi will appear from my progeny, from the descendants of Fatimah.” (Abu Daud)
2) His name will be Muhammad or Ahmad and his father’s name will be Abdullah. Ibne Masood (R.A) reported that the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him said, “If there remains in the world but a day, the mighty Allah will greatly prolong that day till he will send there in a man from me or from the members of my house. His name will be similar to my name and his father’s name to my father’s name.” (Abu Daud)
3) He will resemble the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him in character. Hadrat Ali (R.A) once looked at his son and remarked, “This son of mine is Saiyid who was named by the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him and soon from his loins will come forth a man by the name of your Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him and who will resemble him in conduct but not in appearance.” (Abu Daud)
4) He will have a shiny forehead and a high bridge nose. Abu Saeed reported that the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him said, “The Mahdi will appear from me, shining of forehead, long of nose.” (Abu Daud).
5) Once Hadrat Ali (R.A) was asked regarding his description. He replied, “He is a well built youth of average height and a handsome face, his hair reaches his shoulders and the light of his face is contrasted by the darkness of his hair and beard.” (Al-Isha’ah)
6) He will be slow of speech (a slight stutter) and when he is delayed, he will strike his left thigh with his right hand.” (Al-Isha’ah)
7) He will appear from the east. Thawban (R.A) reported that the Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him said, “Three men will be killed at the place where your treasure is. Each of them will be the son of a Khalifah but none of them will get hold of the treasure. Then the black banners will come out of the east, and they will slaughter you in a way that has never been seen before. If you see him give him your allegiance, even if you have to crawl over ice, because he is the Khalifah of Allah, the Mahdi.” (Ibne Majah)
Only some of the signs that will precede Imaam Mahdi and of the Mahdi himself have been gathered in this book. The true Mahdi, the one referred to in the Ahadith of Prophet Peace and blessings be upon him as one of the signs of Qiyamah, is the one in whom the pre-mentioned signs are found.
IN SHAA ALLAH AAMEEN YA RABB!!!!!!